PROFESSOR ERNEST PETRIČ, Ph.D.
- Graduated cum laude from the France Prešeren Grammar School in Kranj (1955).
- Graduated from the Faculty of Law of the University of Ljubljana and won Prešeren Award for his undergraduate thesis.
- Acquired the title of juris doctor at the University of Ljubljana (1965) with his dissertation on the international law aspects of the "right to home" of exiled persons.
FURTHER POSTGRADUATE AND POST-DOCTORAL EDUCATION
- University of Lund, Sweden (1958)
- University of Vienna (1963/64)
- Institute of International Law, University of Thessaloniki, Greece (1972)
- Wilton Park, United Kingdom (1972)
- The Hague Academy of International Law (1973)
- Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law, Heidelberg, Germany (1979)
PEDAGOGICAL AND SCIENTIFIC WORK
- Institute for Ethnic Studies, Ljubljana (1961-1965)
- Faculty of Sociology, Political Science and Journalism (later Faculty of Social Sciences), Ljubljana (1965-1989)
- School of Law at the University of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (1983-1986)
- Faculty of Government and European Studies, Brdo pri Kranju (2007-)
- European Faculty of Law, Ljubljana - Nova Gorica (2008-)
- Diplomatic Academy of Vienna (2008/2009)
- Guest lecturer at many European and American universities, as well as in India and Brazil.
The topics of his lectures and research work were various, especially those relating to international law, international relations and legal theory. In particular he dealt with international legal protection of minorities, the right of nations to self-determination, legal theory, theory and practice of foreign policy, the rule of law in transition countries, protection of human rights, etc.
- Ambassador of Yugoslavia to India and Nepal (1989-1991)
- Representative and Ambassador of the Republic of Slovenia to the USA and Mexico (1991-1997)
- Permanent Representative and Ambassador of Slovenia to the UN, New York, and Brazil (2000-2002)
- Ambassador and Permanent Representative to Austria and OSCE, IAEA, UNIDO, CTBTO, ODC and UN in Vienna (2002-2008)
PROMINENT PROFESSIONAL, POLITICAL AND MANAGEMENT FUNCTIONS
- President of International Committee of the Student Union of the University of Ljubljana (1957-1959)
- Member of the Executive Committee of (the Government of) the Socialist Republic of Slovenia (1967-1972)
- Deputy at the Republic Assembly of the Socialist Republic of Slovenia (1967-1972)
- Member of the Constitutional Committee of the Republic Assembly of the Socialist Republic of Slovenia (1970-1972)
- Director of the Research Institute of the Faculty of Sociology, Political Science and Journalism (1981-1983)
- Dean of the Faculty of Sociology, Political Science and Journalism (1987-1989)
- Member of the Board of Governors if IAEA, Vienna; (2006-2008); Chairman of the Board (2007)
- Member of the UN International Law Commission, Geneva (2007-); Chairman of the Commission (2009).
- Member of the Advisory Committee on Nominations of Judges of the International Criminal Court, Hague (2013-)
- Judge of the Constitutional Court of the Republic of Slovenia 82008-2017) and President of the Court (2010-2013)
- Member of the Strategic Council at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Slovenia, Ljubljana (2010-)
- Counsellor for International Relations and International Law of the President of the Republic of Slovenia (2017-)
- Vice-President of the International Institute for Middle-East and Balkan Studies - IFIMES (2015-)
- Pravica do samoodločbe: mednarodni vidiki (Sociološka in politološka knjižnica, 16). 1. izdelava. Maribor, Obzorja 2014.
- Foreign Policy: from Conception to Diplomatic Practice. Leiden/Boston, M. Nijhoff, 2013.
- Politika e jashtme: bazat e teorise dhe praksa, Prishtina, Kolegij Universitar Victory, 2012.
- Zunanja politika: osnove teorije in praksa, Mengeš/Ljubljana, Center za evropsko prihodnost in Znanstveno raziskovalni center Slovenske akademije znanosti in umetnosti, 2010.
- Miha Pogačnik in Ernest Petrič: Izbrane teme mednarodnega prava, Evropska pravna fakulteta, Nova Gorica, 2010.
- Od cesarja do voditelja: Etiopija včeraj, danes, jutri. Ljubljana, Mladinska knjiga, 1988.
- Pravica do samoodločbe: mednarodni vidiki. Maribor, Obzorja, 1984.
- La posizione giuridica internazionale della minoranza slovena in Italia, Trst, Editoriale stampa triestina 1981.
- Mednarodno pravni položaj slovenske manjšine v Italiji, Trst, Založništvo tržaškega tiska 1980.
- Mednarodnopravno varstvo narodnih manjšin, Maribor, Obzorja, 1977.
BOOKS OF SCIENTIFIC CONTRIBUITIONS PUBLISHED ON THE OCCASSION OF THE 75TH AND 80TH BIRTHDAYS OF ERNEST PETRIČ
- Challenges of Contemporary International Law and International Relations (Liber Amicorum in Honour of Ernest Petrič, ed. M.Pogačnik, The European Faculty of Law, Nova Gorica, 2011.
- Slovenske misli o mednarodnih odnosih in pravu – prispevki ob 80-letnici dr. Ernesta Petriča, eds. A. Zidar and S.Štiglic, Ljubljana, Fakulteta za družbene vede, 2016.
DECORATIONS AND HONOURS
- Recipient of high state decorations of the Republic of Slovenia, United States of America (state of Colorado), Republic of Austria, Republic of Hungary and Kingdom of Spain.
- Citizen of honour of the Municipality of Bled and resident of honour of the local community Bistrica pri Tržiču.
- Professor emeritus at the Nova univerza, Ljubljana.
- Born on 11 November 1936 in Tržič.
- Married and father of three daughters.