16/03/2011 - 18/03/2011
Tunis - a delegation of the Venice Commission travels to Tunisia on invitation by the Tunisian authorities to discuss the assistance that the Venice Commission can provide to the national authorities in the context of the upcoming constitutional and electoral reforms.
The delegation is meeting with the Prime Minister (on the photo) and the Minister for Foreign Affairs, the High Commission for the achievement of the goals of the revolution, for political reform and democratic transition. Meetings with the representatives of the Ministry of Interior, the European Union and Turkish embassy in Tunisia are also planned.
The composition of the delegation is as follows:
- Mr Gianni Buquicchio, President of the Commission, Italy
- Mr Bogdan Aurescu, Secretary of State, substitute member of the Commission, Romania
- Mr Jean-Claude Scholsem, Professor, Law Faculty of the University of Liège, substitute member of the Commission, Belgium
- Mr Jean Gicquel, Professor emeritus of the public law, Paris University I Panthéon-Sorbonne, expert in constitutional law, former member of the Conseil supérieur de la magistrature, France
- Mr Ibrahim O. Kaboglu, Professor of constitutional law, University of Marmara, Istanbul, Turkey
- Mme Simona Granata-Menghini, Deputy Secretary of the Commission
- M. Gaël Martin-Micallef, Programme officer, Division of elections and referendums
A press briefing was held on Friday 18.03.2011 at 12h00 at the Turkish Embassy in Tunis. On 22 March 2011 at 10h00 the President of the Commission Mr Buquicchio has held a press briefing at the Council of Europe on the results of the visit.
Tatyana Mychelova: office +33 388 413868; firstname.lastname@example.org