Venice - on the sidelines of the 92nd Plenary Session of the Venice Commission a meeting was held between a delegation of the latter and an important delegation of the National Constituent Assembly of Tunisia, composed as follows:
- Mr Larbi ABID, Vice-President;
- Mr Habib KHEDHER, General Rapporteur on the Constitution;
- Mr Najar ABDELMAJID, Rapporteur, Committee on the Preamble, the fundamental principles and the revision of the Constitution;
- Mr Amor CHETOUI, President of the Constitutional Committee on Legislative and Executive powers and the relations between the two;
- Mr Imed HAMMAMI, President of the Constitutional Committee on local and regional self-government bodies;
- Ms Farida LABIDI, President of the Constitutional Committee on Rights and Liberties;
- Mr Mohamed Elarbi Fadhel MOUSSA, President of the Constitutional Committee on Ordinary, Administrative, Financial and Constitutional Justice;
- Mr Jamel TOUIR, President of the Constitutional Committee on Constitutional Bodies.
At this meeting, the six chapters of the draft new constitution prepared by the six constitutional committees were analysed thoroughly.
The voting procedure within the National Constituent Assembly will start after the draft constitution is presented to the civil society in all regions of Tunisia.
The Tunisians have chosen a mixed system of government, with a president elected by universal suffrage. The next parliamentary and presidential elections (first round) are scheduled for 23 June 2013.