Following the request by the Ministry of Justice of Bulgaria dated 18 December 2023, the Venice Commission is preparing a draft Opinion on the Code of Ethics for Bulgarian Judges and the Code of Ethics for Bulgarian Prosecutors and Investigators.
On 26 January 2024, the rapporteurs conducted a series of meetings in Sofia, Bulgaria, with the following interlocutors:
• Members of the Supreme Judicial and Prosecutorial Councils;
• representatives of the Ministry of Justice and the Ministry of Finance;
• Deputy Prosecutor General and members of the Ethics Committee at the Supreme Prosecutor’s Office;
• Judges of the Supreme Court of Cassation and the Supreme Administrative Court;
• Chief Inspector of the Judicial Inspectorate;
• Chairman and members of the Association of Prosecutors in Bulgaria;
• NGOs’ representatives.
The draft opinion will be submitted for adoption at the Venice Commission’s 138th Plenary Session (15-16 March 2024).